Internal jobs in Metis are defined as any non-client work that you want to track on timesheets. This allows you to track other costs that are not charged to client or directly related to client work, such as internal admin or non specific business development. You can add an internal job in the same way as adding a client job.
The Jobs Zone allows you to manage internal jobs and active client jobs in your business. Jobs is only available to someone who is either:
- A Metis Administrator
- Someone with a permission level of 1 or 2. See more about permissions here.
This article contains:
You can get to the Jobs list by navigating to Zones > Jobs.
Once there, you'll see a full list of all Jobs in your business.
On the Jobs list page, click the + Add Internal Job button.
You'll then see a screen where you can input the basic details of the job.
Fill in all of the fields:
- Create a unique Job name. Metis won’t let you create a job name that already exists, so make it unique!
- You can either select an Job lead from a list of existing people - this is who is responsible for the job in Metis. If the person you want to be the Job Lead isn't yet set up in Metis, you can add them now by clicking + Invite new person.
- You can optionally add a Job Executive - This is who needs to see the job but not manage it
- Select Status from the list - the default is Active. You'll change this to Complete when the job finishes.
- Optionally, add an Job ref code. You can ignore this or enter a code to match with another system in your organisation if required.
- You can also choose to mark this job as Strategic. What's a strategic job/opportunity?
- You can mark this Job to count towards utilisation. If this is ticked time put against this job will contribute to an individual's utilisation target.utilisation target.
Also on this page, you'll see information about the anticipated job duration and costs.
8. The duration of the internal job.
If this is an ongoing job which has ad-hoc time booked against it, this would have a long running duration to allow for this in Metis.
9. The total costs you expect this internal job to incur.
10. Who is responsible for approving timesheets and expenses for this job. TIP - You may not be able to edit the approvers for timesheets and expenses if your company settings are not set to Configurable by job. Read our article about Timesheets & Expenses Settings or contact your Metis administrator to fix this.
11. A tickbox that will allow everyone in the business to charge time to this job, without manually adding them to the resource plan.
If your company has this set up, you may see an extra box at the bottom of this page which is a Custom field. These can be set to capture whatever information you like. You can read more about custom fields here.
The job now has all the information it needs to be created - great! Press Save & Finish to close this job, or click Adjust budget and add resource plan to go on and add a custom Revenue and Cost spread, and add people to the Resource Plan so that they can charge time to this Job.
When you input a total value for each of the categories (People/Time, Expenses and Other) for Costs on the previous page, Metis goes ahead and spreads out that total value of each category over the duration of the job.
You can choose the spread however on this page, based on when you plan to recognise the costs recognise the costs incurred over time. You can leave this blank if you don't know the costs or there aren't any.
To edit any information on this page you need to be in Edit mode. Click Edit in the top right-hand corner to enter edit mode.
You can edit the individual row values of cost for each category (People/Time, Expenses and Others). See here on what the different categories refer to.
To do this, click the pencil icon against the row you want to edit (see image above). Metis then opens a pop-up box, offering you some smart options to help you enter the cost spread.
In Metis you can choose to drive your People/Time directly from the Resource Plan. At the top of the pop-up box that appears when you click the pencil icon to edit the People/Time costs, Metis asks if you'd like to apply this method to this job. This is optional and you can turn this on/off throughout a project's duration.
You can also use the different options to help you spread the total cost out over the duration of the job. These options are:
The last part is to assign the team who will work on this job to the Resource Plan. See our article on How to add someone to the resource plan.
If you want everyone in your business to be able to put time against this job, you can tick the "allow everyone in the company to report time & expenses on this job" box on the previous page.